Monday 9 March 2015

Ten Things I only Discovered after Two Babies

You would have thought that, being an educated and involved mother, I would know everything there was to know about babies after having the first one. It turns out, that after Squish was born, I discovered smarter, simpler ways to do various things. 

Hopefully, some of these epiphanies can help other new mothers to do things the easy way.

Disposable food pouches

When Noodle was a baby, the only ready made baby food was the jar variety. The newer tube varieties (like the Pure Squish brand) taste much better and are far more convenient to transport around. You can even buy little screw on spoons that attach to the tube. (P.S. In case you were wondering, that is not where Squish got his nickname from, but that is a story for another day).








Envelope vests

I always thought the wide foldback necks were there so that it is easier to get the vests over soft little heads. It turns out that they are designed so that you can pull them downwards and off babies legs in the event of emergency nappy blowouts. Who knew?


 Using disposable nappies for clean ups

Speaking of emergency nappy blowouts, when you have a baby, you are likely to face clean up of all sorts of revolting bodily fluids. I have discovered that using a (clean) disposable nappy works well to clean up the bulk of the mess. I keep the annoying ones where the side tabs have fallen off handy for this purpose. Then for sanitising and deodorising, tea tree oil, bicarbonate of soda and vinegar work better than most commercial cleaners.
  
Facebook mommy groups

I am not sure if these were around when Noodle was born, but a lot of moms benefit from having experienced mommies on hand to give immediate advice on baby related dramas. These are typically closed or secret groups so that embarrassing threads do not show up on ones facebook feed.

Breastfeeding

One would think that as a mother, this would come naturally and intuitively, but I discovered the hard way that this is not the case. I only breastfed Noodle for about a month before my supply diminished, causing her to reject any attempts at breastfeeding. This was probably due to a combination of formula top ups in hospital and me not having the right information on how to keep my supply up.

Thanks to better education the second time round, I discovered that formula top ups and a rigid three hour feeding schedule were a sure way to diminish supply. Facebook mommy groups were a saving grace in those early days with a wealth of information on how to successfully breastfeed. Squish on the other hand is still breastfed at almost fourteen months. 

Removing Super Glue

Being our resident Doc Mcstuffins toy fixer, I have discovered that if you ever get your fingers stuck with superglue, petroleum jelly can be used to painlessly remove it. Store this information in your memory bank as it is hard to Google things with your hands glued together.

Wonder weeks

When Noodle was a baby I had not even heard of the Wonder Weeks (these are weeks when babies universally appear to make mental leaps in their development, which often coincides with fussy and cranky behaviour. With Squish, they have been remarkably accurate and quite useful in making sense of bad weeks.

Baby led weaning

This basically means letting your baby feed themselves sticks of solids from the time they start solids and skipping the mushy purees completely. Babies learn to chew first and then swallow (as opposed to with purees where they learn to swallow first and chew later).

The idea seems counter-intuitive and even scary (if you do not know the distinction between gagging and choking), but I discovered that this method of introducing solids is easier for both mother and baby (and less messy). Yes, I know I spoke about the food pouches earlier in this post, which would have BLW purists burn me at the stake, but those were only there for quick snacks on the go (or super lazy days).

By eight months old, Squish was happily eating what the rest of the family eats, with very little assistance and many hours were saved steaming, blending and freezing baby foods. 

Sleep Training

When Noodle was born back in 2010, sleep training was very popular. As desperate sleep deprived zombies, we tried sleep training for one night with Noodle when she was about eight months old. It was an epic failure. My poor baby was hoarse from crying, physically ill the next day and it did not help her sleep any better. Guilt-ridden, we refused to do it for another night and our gut instincts as parents told us that we should not be doing this. More recent research shows that crying it out methods of sleep training can cause long-term psychological damage to little ones. I am glad we stopped when we did with Noodle and that we knew better by the time Squish came along.
 
Gelatine tea

A tablespoon of gelatin is added to boiling hot tea or coffee and consumed immediately, at least once or twice a day. Some claim not to notice the taste but I think it tastes aweful and the texture is not very pleasant either.

I noticed slight results but did not persevere too long due to the taste, but I have met many mommies who swear by gelatine tea as a remedy for stretch marks and saggy skin. (Note: Gelatine is available in the baking isle at most supermarkets or for SANHA approved Halaal gelatine, look at Muslim owned spice shops).

46 comments:

  1. You know what? I only discovered the vest thing after all my babies were all grown up and our of envelope vests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cat, they should put instructions on the vest packaging. This trick has saved me a few times with squishy Squish nappies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many great things that I wish I would have known before having kids!! ha/ha My son is 14 now and still needs the sleep training! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. With my second daughter, I discovered that despite what they say, my daughter didn't care about switching back and forth between formula and breastmilk so when I wasn't able to breastfeed her I stopped feeling as guilty about it as I did with my older daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this info especially about Super Glue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for such great advice like with the vest as I did not know this. But will be sharing it with my Niece as she is having a baby soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not know about gelatine tea here in the US when my kids were babies. I will pass that tip on to the new moms I know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had four babies...your tips are right on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great advice! My little one is 9 months and I've been hearing about much of this in my own mommy groups! :) The gelatin tea is new to me though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My babies are having babies now so I sent this link along to my daughter. She is fighting it out on several of these fronts and hopefully some of your advice can help her. Gelatin tea sounds disgusting! Why don't people just eat jello? or make nourishing bone broth? Both of those provide the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did my last comment "take"?

    If not, I'll comment again, lol!

    You are speaking a foreign language to me. I have no kids yet though, just doggies. I will have to commit that super glue remedy to my internal hard drive, though!

    Jebbica
    http://jebbicasworld.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  12. They say in my country that your first child is your last doll, and the second one is your first child :) At least, that is how it was with me- fir my first daughter I was still learning things, but when my son was born, I was a pro! Will send this to my daughter, I am sure she will find it useful. Thank you

    Lana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a funny time to read this, as my husband and I are currently expecting baby #2! I have to say my toddler can't stand those food pouches, I have no idea why. I've tried different brands, and different flavors. I am planning to make baby food at home with baby #2, I'm usually disappointed by the lack of nutrients and high sugar content for prepared baby food. I had NO idea about envelope onesies though! That makes so much sense, and I used a ton of those with my son. They were great anyway because my son's head has measured at the 90 percentile since he was very little (no joke) and those were much easier to pull on and off than other styles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good flow on your writing. My babies are are all past the baby stage and, like you I learned a lot of lessons while in the moment of no return. But, that super glue one, I have never heard that before and I have had that stuff on my fingers before. Tried googone, alcohol, and I can't even remember what else. I will remember the petroleum jelly idea if it ever happens again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I may not be a mommy yet, but this post made me smile. I've also heard the same about gelatin tea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you all for the kind comments. I am glad that even those without babies have seen value in these notes.

    Svetlana Lysenco, I think you have summed up the spirit of this post in one beautiful sentence.

    Diane Cransac, I am no expert, but I am told that the gelatine thing only works if consumed boiling hot, so that is a no to the jello (or jelly as we call it in SA). The broth idea might work though.

    Lalia Frolick, all the best with baby number 2. My kids also needed the envelope vests for their heads to fit through. Larger heads equal more brain matter I say.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I was pregnant with my first, I asked both my mother and mother-in-law what do I do as a new mother. They both told me, "Oh, you'll figure it out." Well, I didn't figure it all out till the second one. Sure wish they had Internet and Facebook groups back then.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Totally saving this! No children yet, but I'm hopeful to have one in the next year or two. These tips are wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're so right about the mommy groups and wealth of information in general. Being online all the time helps find all kinds of goodies. Thanks for sharing this list :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, so many excellent tips!! My "babies" are 15 - 21 now, so some of what you mention didn't even exist when they were in that stage.... like I am SO jealous that you guys get to use those squeezy baby food things! That would've changed my life. And Facebook - what a lifeline that would be for new moms. Kudos to you for trying again with breastfeeding. It truly is amazing how much we learn from experience. Hard to go through things as novices but it's the only way to learn and grow. Best wishes to you and your kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a great list! Wish I had known some of those things when my kids were little! Thank you for sharing and making it an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well. I have to admit I have no children. I do have two dogs, Lucy and Ricky. They are my babies. he he he. I can really see what a great benefit online groups would be. Such great information in this post. I actually shared with my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have to agree with so many of these and am lucky I found most of them with my first and only one. Baby led weaning was awesome. She wouldn't eat the pouches of food for awhile but now has to have an applesauce package every day. My mommy groups were invaluable! I never tried cry it out and we still co-sleep, however, this is partially because my daughter suffers from febrile seizures and her last two were in her sleep. I'm not leaving her side any time soon. ;-) There are lots of other neat things I have learned and wished I had known back in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My youngest "baby" is 11 now. It's funny to read how much has changed, yet how much is the same. I love your list!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is right on! I have four now and still learn new things daily I think :) I think most recently I've learned that babies need way less clothing than you'd think :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Being a mother will continue to teach you many, many things.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm not yet a mom, but I do intend to be someday -- I'll keep these in my memory bank for the future. I love things like this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. YES on Facebook mommy groups!! I am so thankful for the group I found! That's where I learned about the onesies going down instead of up for those poopsplosions! lol I also learned about Wonder Weeks from there and it is SO true. Those growth spurts really explain a lot with my son!

    ReplyDelete
  29. My daughter called me one day to tell me the that same envelope vest tip! It's been helpful for, now that she has her 2nd child! :) Why they don't put that on the package is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm a mom to a 13mo and this is super helpful and also brings a smile to my face. First, thank you for the disposable nappy hack. Also, I join a whatsapp group of mom whose babies are born the same month as mine. I join a Facebook group for breastfeeding moms and moms who baby wear and attachment parenting group and homeschool group and vbac support group and they have all been really useful for me especially since I'm living far away from family and friends. I knew wonder weeks as growth spurt. Super informative and helpful post. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great list - I always used diapers as wipe clothes - worked like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great thoughts. By number three, you're too tired to care about the advise anyone else gives you and you're flying by the seat of your pants with barely enough time to brush your teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  33. My kids are now teenagers so these things did not exist when they were little. How times have changed!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I wish I read this post when my kids were babies- the Envelope vests, I mean, really? Never knew that!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great tips to pass along to my two step daughters, both of which are pregnant right now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Some really fantastic tips! My kid is 2 and some of these I take full advantage of (the food packets). I had no idea about the super glue remedy, the tea or the envelope vests. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I don't have children, but I do babysit my nephew a lot, and had my share of changing messy diapers. The baking soda and vinegar combinations is definitely a godsend. I do have to remember the petroleum jelly remedy for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I wish I'd known about the envelope vests when my kids were babies. That would have been so much easier! Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I haven't had little ones like that in a while, but one of the funniest things ever told to me was the following (and it just might be true lol): When you have your first baby, you wash their pacifier with soap, and sanitize it if it falls down on the floor. When you have the second baby, you pick up the pacifier and just rub it clean on your clothes before popping it back in their mouth. And by your third baby, you basically are just pulling the pacifier out of the dog's mouth and giving it back to the baby.

    Point being, you gradually become better at it, and learn as they get older about what's to stress and what's not to worry about so much. From all your suggestions though, it sounds like things are going smoothly for you, and like you are already an awesome mommy. Noodle and Squish are lucky to have you!

    Alexander

    ReplyDelete
  40. From my first to my 3rd, so much has changed! I agree that the food pouches are brilliant. I stayed well stocked for my youngest.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Will have to keep this post handy for when I have kids. It's so hard to know what is needed and what works, so thanks for doing some reflection. I love the idea of getting super glue off your fingers, even without kids, I've done this too often. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Isn't it amazing how much changes from one child to the next! For me, it was learning the benefits of baby wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  43. It's crazy how much things evolve over just a few years time in every area!

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a great reminder that every stage of family development should be enjoyed. What cute names you have for your kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Super glue and Petroleum jelly - that's a pretty epic tip. I'm dreadful when I use super glue, you can almost guarantee I'll cover my fingers in it. Next time it happens I shall be more prepared. My finger-tips thank you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  46. I didn't learn about the envelope sleeves on onesies until after my youngest was already out of them. I love the idea of being able to join mommy groups on Facebook to get advice when you need it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. We love hearing from you!