Tuesday 30 June 2015

Learning to Juggle... Work and Play

It's that time again, school/ creche holidays. That means I have both Noodle and Squish home with me all day. I love spending time with my kids, but I have a couple of extra challenges this time around. I recently had to let go of my domestic worker/ nanny (don't ask) and have not found a suitable replacement. This means no help with the kids (which I don't mind, except when I have screaming kids in the background while on business calls) and lots of extra cleaning, washing and ironing (my least favourite chore) on top of WAHM'ing (and blogging). We are also still fasting, so my energy takes a major dip by the end of the day.

I have learned to get the bulk of my work done in the mornings while Noodle is at school. Working around one child- challenging but doable. Working around two (one of whom asks questions non-stop) not as easy!

If you have read my previous blog posts, you will know that I enjoy doing activities with my kids (and Noodle has come to expect this over holidays). So I feel like I have been short-changing them a little bit and allowing them watch more television than they should, due to a lack of time on my part. 

Here is one very quick activity we have managed to get up to:

I let Noodle and Squish make their own banana lollies. Noodle proudly did it all by herself (see messy picture below) while Squish got a little help from me.


This is the 'recipe' we followed from one of the Dora the Explorer recipe books. Noodle used to be obsessed with Dora. This wore off for a little while, but after the Dora show at Nickfest, both Noodle and Squish are Dora obsessed now.


We replaced the ice-cream sticks with cinnamon sticks (mostly because I did not have ice-cream stick but I also think it will add a bit of flavour). I also let them add some colourful sprinkles as a special treat.

I have also gotten lots of colouring books and Lego blocks for both kids and jigsaw puzzles out to keep Noodle busy (except Squish keeps breaking her puzzles while she is busy, so I have to intervene).

 Hopefully I will find time for more fun activities soon. For now, on with the juggling.

2 comments:

  1. Those banana lollies look good! I'm going to have to try them with my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. During working days kids remain indulged in preschool or day care center but during summer vacations and on week-off they feels boring and frustrated having nothing to do. Such creative activities let them learn creative things along with keeping them busy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. We love hearing from you!